(formerly Ashton and then Bellevue)


Pintura is on Ash Creek and I-15 (Exit 31) between Cedar City and St. George.

37° 20' 27.4" North Latitude,   113° 16' 27.2" West Longitude
37.3410° North Latitude,   113.2743° West Longitude
4,095 feet (1,248 meters) MSL

Topographic map of Pintura


Pintura was first settled in 1858 when a Mr. Morrill settle there. It was originally called Ashton in recognition of its proximity to Ash Creek. Morrill worked hard, clearing rocks and brush, digging irrigation ditches, and eventually producing quite a nice ranch.

In 1863, Thomas Adair, Joseph Birch, and a few others arrived and started to settle there. Cabins were built, ditches were dug, and crops were planted. But the creek dried up in the summer of 1863 and again in 1864 causing most of the settlers to leave for other more promising locations.

In 1866, after growing dissatisfied with the area, Morrill sold out to Joel Johnson. Johnson was soon joined by James Bay as a neighbor.

In 1868, James Sylvester & family, Joseph Birch, Jacob Gates, and James C. Snow moved to the valley and developed ranches. The following year, Peter Anderson moved in and took up the rest of the available land. Later, Andrew F. Gregerson bought the Joel Johnson ranch. Others moving in included Ebenezar Hanks, Siler, Chris Tuftt, John Allen, and Ed & Brig Lamb.

In 1868, the name of the community was changed to Bellevue. Reportedly, James Sylvester, Jacob Gates, and Joseph F. Johnson stood on a hill near the end of the Black Ridge Dugway and viewed a landscape with a shape resembling a bell.

Bellevue became a branch of the Toquerville Ward of the St. George Stake. James Sylvester was chosen as the Presiding Elder followed in later years by James C. Snow, Joel H. Johnson, and Andrew F. Gregerson (1880 to sometime around 1930).

Residents supported themselves by raising grapes (and producing wine), other fruit, sugar cane, sorghum, hay, and cattle.

At first, school was held in the Joel Johnson home with James C. Snow as the teacher. But in 1883, Ebenezar Hanks directed the construction of a public building. The ground was donated, local materials were used, and labor was donated. It was used for a school with teachers including James C. Snow, Rosena Sylvester Jarvis, Mary Ann Mansfield, and Rea Birch. The building also served as a church and community social hall.

At its peak, Bellevue had a population of 150. But by 1900, Bellevue consisted of only three or four families.

In 1925, the Post Office department asked that the name of the town be changed to something less commonly used. At the suggestion of Andy Gregerson, the name was changed to Pintura. That is the Spanish word for "painting," and refers to the nearby brightly colored hills.

In 1978, there were about a dozen families living in Pintura. Most of the homes were modern and each one had a pond for storing water. There was also a community well for culinary water. L.D.S. families living in Pintura attended the Toquerville Ward.

Maud Gregerson   (192? to ????)
Emiline Sylvester   (???? to ????)
John Wallace Stewart   (???? to 1934)
LaVelle Sylvester   (1934 to October 1949)
Edythe Klingonsmith (acting)   (October 1949 to March 1, 1950)
Edythe Klingonsmith   (March 1, 1950 to ????)


Photos on the web:
Photo of Heber J. Grant, Anthony W. Ivins, George A. Smith, their wives and other people at a Pintura ranch
3/31/1949 photo of Leavitt, Creaves, MacFarlane, Seamon, and Peters planning game studies at the Pintura deer camp
Photo of William R. Palmer, William (Bill) I. Palmer, and Bill's two sons looking for petroglyphs near Pintura
Photo of petroglyphs near Pintura
Photo of petroglyphs near Pintura
Photo of petroglyphs near Pintura


OnlineUtah.com article about Pintura

Washington County Chapter, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, " Under Dixie Sun".
1950 with 1978 Supplement.
Pages 118, 123-124, 357-359, Supplement Page 23.

Southern Utah Memories: Pintura is second northern most community in Washington County,
by Loren R. Webb,   August 9, 2013